HP, a brand known for the manufacturing of peripheral devices also manufactures high-quality and efficiently working laptops that not only give you the best output but also use smarter technology. Despite giving such an amazing performance, HP laptops might be the reason why you are unable to complete the stipulated tasks on time. Nowadays, many hp laptop users are coming with the query why is there hp laptop keyboard not working.
Consequently, we shall try to fix the keyboard issues with your laptop that enables you to give the best output that too on time.
Why is my hp laptop keyboard and touchpad not working?
Some of the main reasons responsible for this problematic situation have been listed below:
- Outdated touchpad and keyboard drivers present on your device
- Corrupted or faulty touchpad drivers
- Incorrect configurations
- Touchpad or keyboard is occupied with some other task
- Availability of corrupt system files
Things to try when your hp laptop keyboard and touchpad stops working
Solution 1: Update the Touchpad and keyboard drivers
Use the ‘Find’ or ‘Search’ menu of your laptop and navigate to the ‘Software and Driver Downloads’ section. After that, you need to expand the ‘Driver-Keyboard, Mouse, and Input Devices’ menu. In case you see an available update, download it instantly and restart your device.
Solution 2: perform a clean boot
Running a clean boot on your Windows Operating System will restore its functionality and may help in getting your PC working like normal. You can learn the process to perform a clean boot via this article- How to perform a clean boot in Windows (microsoft.com)
Solution 3: enable the touchpad settings
To enable the touchpad settings, press the “Windows +I” keys on your hp keyboard and go to the ‘Devices’ section. In this section, find out the “touchpad” entry and turn on the toggle next to it. To save the changes, it is mandatory to restart the device.
Solution 4: enable the settings in ‘Properties’
Open the ‘Properties’ section of your device and expand the touchpad and keyboard menu in it. After that, you should make the necessary changes to enable them one by one.
Solution 5: Run the HP Diagnostic Program
In case none of the above-mentioned solutions could fix this issue, then the last thing you should try is to run the hp diagnostic program on your laptop and see if it could help resolve the issue. To run the diagnostic program, follow these steps:
- To begin, restart your laptop.
- When the computer starts booting, press the Esc key on your keyboard.
- As you see the Startup menu, press the F2 key.
- This should open the ‘System Diagnostics’.
- Run the necessary test to find out the solution.
Fix HP laptop keyboard some keys not working after windows 10 update
Troubleshoot your keyboard:
- Open the Device Manager on your device.
- Find the ‘Keyboards’ option in it.
- From the list, choose your keyboard.
- Right-click on it to expand the menu.
- Select the ‘Uninstall’ option.
- Remove all the devices from the ‘Keyboards’ menu.
- Restart your device and see if your keyboard works.
Correlated question answers
Why is my hp laptop not letting me type my password?
There might be a problem with the keyboard of your device which is not letting you type anything. Apart from this, there could be an internal error in your system. If you come across a similar problem, try booting your PC in Safe mode.
How do you unlock the keyboard on an HP laptop?
In most cases, you need to press and hold the ‘Shift’ key that is present on the right side of the keyboard for about 8 seconds. This lets you lock as well as unlock your HP keyboard. In case you are unable to use the keyboard after unlocking it, make sure it is not disabled.
How do I enable the hp keyboard in BIOS?
- Turn on your hp device.
- While it starts to boot, press the F10 key.
- This will let the device enter the BIOS.
- Go to the ‘Security’ tab.
- Use the UP and down arrow and choose ‘USB Security’.
- Press the ‘Enter’ key and you will see the list of ports.
- Using the same arrow keys, select the USB port in which you have plugged in the keyboard.
- Select the ‘Enable’ button to enable your keyboard.
- Hit the F10 key to save the changes.
If it still does not work, it is time to take it to a professional technician who could help you in dealing with the issue. Or, maybe it’s time to purchase a new laptop as your PC might have got old now. But, before that, you must try hard resetting your PC.