You might have encountered various types of errors while using the QuickBooks application. One of the main problems that many users have a complaint about is the QuickBooks desktop search not working issue that suddenly stops the search function of the app. There are only a few methods available online that you can try to fix of QuickBooks search not working error.
After properly analyzing the problem and its causes, here in this article, we have mentioned some common troubleshooting methods that you can try to get rid of QuickBooks search not working error. Along with these troubleshooting methods, it is also very important to find the root causes of the error so that you can avoid getting the same error in the future. Check out this article to know more detailed info and complete solution.
What Cause QuickBooks Search Not Working Error?
There are several reasons behind the QuickBooks email not working issue. Most of the time, the problem occurs after updating the QuickBooks desktop application to its latest version. Usually, these updates are not properly installed after downloading the application, and thus creates several issues. Some other causes of this problem in the QuickBooks application are listed below:
- Some registry error in Windows system.
- Outdated/Improperly configured version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Damaged/Corrupted QuickBooks Search-Index file.
- Windows firewall or any third-party application is interrupting QuickBooks.
How Do I Troubleshoot QuickBooks Search Not Working Error?
Once you identified the exact cause of QuickBooks Desktop Search Not Working Issue, it’s time to fix the problem. There are various methods that you can try to resolve this issue. However, some of the most commonly used troubleshooting techniques are given below to follow.
Method 1: Rename QuickBooks Search Index File
Renaming the QuickBooks search index file can also help you to solve any issue with the search box. All you have to do is:
- Open QuickBooks desktop app and close the company file.
- Now, press the Windows Start button and type *.SearchIndex in the search box.
- Press Enter key. This will take you to the following path: C:\ Users\ UserName\Public \Documents\Intuit\ QuickBooks\Company File\ Companyfilename.QBW folder.
- Now locate the qbw.SearchIndex Folder and rename it by typing. OLD at the end of its file name.
- Now re-open the QuickBooks Company File.
- Click on the Search/Magnified Glass tab from the top-left corner of the Window.
- Now click on the Update Search Information option from the left side panel.
- If there is any update going on, please wait and then click the OK button.
- Once the update is successfully installed, try using the search feature and check if the problem still exists.
If you are still unable to use the search feature of QuickBooks, then apply other troubleshooting methods that are given below.
Method 2: Turn-off Firewall Protection
As already mentioned, any issue in the QuickBooks application can be due to an installed firewall or any other third-party application. If the problem is because of Firewall, then it’s time to disable it. You can follow the steps given below to disable to turn off the Firewall protection.
- To close the firewall protection, you have to go to the start button >> Control Panel >> Firewall and turn it off.
- If there is any third-party firewall installed in your system, then you need to follow the particular steps available on their website to turn them off.
Method 3: Clear Your Browser’s Cache
If the search box of the QuickBooks application is still not working, then you can clear your web browser’s cache. Follow the steps given below to clear the cache of the Google Chrome browser:
- First of all, open the Google Chrome browser in your system.
- Now, click on the three dots icon located at the top right corner.
- Now, choose the “More tools” option from the context menu.
- Go to More tools >> “Clear browsing data” option. Check out the time period for which you want to delete the browsing data.
- Ensure that the basic, advanced-cache, and history options are check-marked as per the requirement.
- For basic cache, select all boxes and click the Clear data button. To clear all cache and unnecessary history, navigate to the Advanced tab and checkmark all the boxes. Now click on the Clear data button.
Once you are done, wait for a while as the system may take some time to finish this process. It depends on the data size. Once the process is done, check whether the cache is deleted.
Hope the above methods have helped you to troubleshoot the issue. If the problem still appears or if you are getting the same error, look out for other methods to fix the Search button not working using the technical support team.
Related Article –