Microsoft Outlook is one of the powerful email service providers, especially for businesses. However, instances may occur when you face problems while using Outlook email services and these problems may hamper the user experience. One of the most common issues that many users have reported is Outlook rules not working.
These rules of Outlook play a very important role in automating its functioning. They help you to know what to do with your emails. There could be multiple reasons why you may experience outlook rules not working in the Outlook issue. Here, in this article, we have mentioned some simple troubleshooting methods that you can try to easily fix the problem.
Why are Microsoft Outlook Rules Not Working?
There are several instances in which the Outlook rules may not work on existing emails. Some of them are given below:
- The .srs file send and received from your MS Outlook account is corrupted.
- Your corrupted IMAP and POP3 accounts.
- Corrupted or damaged OST Files.
Whatever is the culprit of this issue, you can apply the below-mentioned guidelines to fix the problem and continue using the Outlook account.
Quick Methods to Fix Outlook Rules not Working
If you are facing Outlook 365 rules not running when the message arrives issue, apply the proper troubleshooting methods to fix it. Given below are some methods that you can try to resolve the issue:
Method 01: Enable rules for your account
Sometimes, these Outlook rules might get disabled on your account automatically. In such cases, you need to enable them before proceeding with any other troubleshooting methods:
- Open your Outlook client and navigate to the File tab.
- Now, from the Account Information tab, click on the Manage Rules & Alerts button.
- This will display the Rules and Alerts dialog box on your screen. Check if all the checkboxes are selected for all your accounts for which you want to use the rules.
- If the checkbox is not tick-marked, do it on your own to enable rules.
Method 02: Delete and remake your rules
Deleting and remarking your Outlook rules can help you to fix Outlook rules not working on existing emails. All you have to do is:
- Close the entire Outlook app and press the Windows + R keys to open the Run utility.
- Type “outlook.exe /cleanrules” in the Run prompt and press the Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys.
- Now, Outlook will launch all the rules deleted from your account. Now, remake them and create those rules again.
Note: If have more than 1 account connected to Outlook, these steps will delete the rules for other accounts as well.
Method 03: Update Microsoft Outlook
The MS Outlook rules not running automatically error can occur due to the outdated version of Outlook installed on your device. Here are some steps that you can follow to update your MS Outlook to its latest version:
- Launch Outlook and navigate to the File tab.
- Now, go to the Office Account tab located in the left side pane.
- Click on the Update Options button from the Office Updates section.
- Then, choose the Update Now button to update your MS Outlook to the latest version. Wait till Outlook is updated to the latest version.
Once you are done with the update process, check if the MS Outlook rules start working again.
Hope, these simple steps help you to fix Microsoft Outlook rules not working issue. If you still need any further help to fix issues with your Office apps, feel free to reach out to the customer service team. The professional experts are available 24/7 to assist you. They can help you to identify the root cause of your issue and suggest proper solutions to fix it immediately.